Sunday, November 1, 2009

The American Right -- a whacky cult

I think this quote from a NYT Op-Ed sums up my feelings about the American right and their supporters elsewhere.
>>>The battle for upstate New York confirms just how swiftly the right has devolved into a wacky, paranoid cult that is as eager to eat its own as it is to destroy Obama. The movement’s undisputed leaders, Palin and Beck, neither of whom has what Palin once called the “actual responsibilities” of public office, would gladly see the Republican Party die on the cross of right-wing ideological purity. Over the short term, at least, their wish could come true.<<<

I have been accused of having no principles becuase of my moderate approach to subjects ... but without moderation how can the differences between right and left be resolved. I am happy to be in the middle becuase I can see merit in the NZ context in both the policies of ACT and the Alliance .... the parties which I choose between over a decade ago. Both seemed to be plugging for the 'Responsible Society' I believe in. It was a case of which was more likely to succeed. Time has shown neither making it but the Alliance is history while ACT plugs on and is part of Government ... admittedly a small part which happilly for me means that their more extreme aspects of policy cannot proceed.

'The Respopnsible Society' is an expression I found many decade ago in a book by Dr Bill Sutch, a supposed Communist and Russian spy/agent. What didn't appear in the book I think was the problem for the RS is that for it to work the populace must be also responsible. Society [ the Government structure ] cannot carry the whole burden without help from its members.

I think I do have an underlying principle and that is a utter disgust of the extremist in the mirriad of forms they appear.

No comments: